Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Response to "Is textspeak sabotaging younger job seekers?"



Texting and text talk are getting way out of control these days. Like the Article said, there is a certain time when using text talk is okay, when actually texting [in my opinion]. Don't get me wrong, just like most people i say LOL and use emotes every once in a while while texting, but other than that I spell everything out, and i mean everything. When I am online, I write out every word and spell check what I am writing. I only use emotes on forums or when instant messaging my friends. Text Talk does not need to be used in Emails and especially not when writing a paper. Every once in a while, i will slip up and use "cuz" instead of "because", but no one is perfect. Too many kids are getting too comfortable with text talk and it is going to hurt them when they try and apply for a job or when sending college transcripts. We need to start teaching kids when and when not it is okay to use this kind of talking, otherwise it could potentially lower the literacy rate of our youth. 
Now you probably think I'm some crazy person that thinks technology is going to take over our lives. Personally i think we rely on it way too much, but I use it just as much as any other person and quite enjoy it. 
Text talk is a bad habit that to many people a falling into. I get texts from people that I cant even read because of how bad the text talk is. The sad thing is, there are dictionaries for this type of thing, Text Talk Dictionaries. What has language come to? Is Text talk going to take over as the base language? It's a good thing we have English teachers to stop this.

Pertinent Links:

Image Supplied by:
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii8/TheOrigginators/texting.jpg

1 comment:

Paul G. said...

Such an awesome image. I love those "motivational" posters.